Monday, July 11, 2011
A Little Piece of Heaven
This weekend was another API planned excursion, so we left on a bus together at 8:30 Saturday morning for Geneva, Switzerland. As usual, the drive was beautiful, making the two hours fly by. Once we crossed the border, we headed into Geneva, stopping first at the UN for a tour. I was surprised about how fascinating the UN headquarters was, and it was an amazing feeling standing in the rooms with all of the chairs labels with with different countries. After the tour we walked to downtown and ate our lunch, after which we had the afternoon to explore the town. It was very hot that day and there were a lot of people so I can't say it was my favorite place so far, but it was quite beautiful. We wandered into a chocolate shop because we decided that it wouldn't be real trip to Switzerland without a little taste of chocolate. It was divine. In order to cool off, we then went over to the big water jet in the middle of the lake just to catch some of the mist. Of course, right as we made it onto the little walkway and in perfect line with a little light spray, the wind shifted and we all got soaked. Despite the initial shock of lake water, it actually felt pretty good. At around 4:30, we all headed back to the bus and we returned to France for a night and day in Chamonix. I really had no idea what this town was about and so had so expectations of what we were about to see. My host people said that the town was quite pretty so a knew i wouldn't be disappointed, but I had no idea what I was about to see. This town was the cutest mountain village tucked right at the base of Mont Blanc. Went we pulled up and I could hardly believe where we were. You could tell who the Oregon people were based on the levels of excitement. I seriously couldn't get off the bus fast enough. Once we dropped out stuff off, we were free until the next morning, so some of us went off to find some pizza. And yes, mine once again had hot goat cheese on top. Losing ourselves in the beauty of this town was unbelievable and became even more extraordinary once a thunderstorm started--flashes lighting up the sky. The next morning we took a train up one of the mountains to see a glacier. I've seen glaciers before, but it has always been a look-don't-touch type situation, so I freaked out when I realized we could actually go inside. They had little tunnels set up that we could walk through and even rooms with ice furniture carved out. This little tourist trap probably isn't helping the life of the glacier, but it was so cool that I don't even care. After our tour, we were free until 4 so we just continued to walk around and enjoy this beautiful place. I would love to come back in the winter so I could ski around and once again enjoy this heavenly spot. Even though I gave it a shot, no photos could ever do this place justice. Long story short, I'm going back. PS mom- I had a cafe au lait...I'm hooked.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment